A Utah County wedding took an unexpected turn after the groom suffered an “intense allergic reaction” to catered food during the couple’s June reception, a lawsuit filed Tuesday in 4th District Court alleges.
According to the complaint, groom Jacob McCourt was taken to Spanish Fork Hospital after consuming food made by Provo-based catering company Sheps Culinary Creations at his wedding reception on June 12.
The complaint did not specify what may have caused the reported reaction, but it alleges that the catering company failed to adhere to McCourt’s food restrictions despite open communication about his allergies.
McCourt and his wife, Ashley McCourt, had tested and inspected the food before their wedding without issue, according to the complaint.
The couple are suing for the cost of McCourt’s medical bills, which exceeded $2,900, and the cost of the catering services, priced at $1,940.
Attorney Jacob Gunter of Provo-based law firm Howard, Lewis & Petersen P.C. is representing the McCourts. Gunter declined to comment on the case. Attempts to reach the couple were not immediately returned.
Sheps Culinary Creations owner Ashley Shepherd declined to comment when reached by phone Thursday.
The catering company had not filed a response to the complaint as of Thursday, records show.