Whether you rock a bold red lip shade on your wedding day, or opt for an ever-popular nude, the last thing you want is for your lipstick to have vanished before you’ve even made it up the aisle! But unless you choose a long wear lipstick formula, your perfect pout simply won’t withstand all the champagne and kisses. This is something to discuss in advance with your makeup artist at your trial, as they’ll know the best formulas and tricks for how to make a lipstick really long lasting. However, consider buying a lipstick to have in your bridal handbag (or your bridesmaid’s) for top ups. We’ve compiled our favourite long wear lipsticks for brides, that are each long lasting, non-drying and have a fabulous range of colours from nudes to bolder shades. Read on to find your perfect pout partner!
But First, Some Long Wear Lipstick FAQs Answered to Help You Choose:
I want a glossy look, but will it last? For a glossy finish, choose a duo formula. The first layer will be a long lasting liquid lipstick or stain and the second layer will be a gloss or balm you can apply on top.
How can I avoid it sitting in the cracks of my lips? Matte textures are more long-lasting and deliver deeper colour as they have more wax and pigment, but can be drying as they have less oils. This can also cause it to settle in any cracks in your lips. Avoid this by using a nourishing balm the week leading up to your wedding day. Then gently exfoliate your lips the night before, either with a special lip scrub (sugar, olive oil and honey is a great home remedy) or by lightly running your toothbrush over your lips.
How do I avoid it drying out my lips? If you have naturally dry lips, then choose a matte texutre with a semi-creamy finish, or with a softly fine, powerdery finish. Also check the ingredients list – anything with alcohol, silicone or talc is a no. And it goes without saying, ‘hydrate, hydrate, hydrate’ with lots of water throughout the day!
How do I avoid bleed with bold colours? Lip liner is your first line of defence here. Apply it all over the lip as an extra safety precaution and this will hold it in place. Some products come with a matching lipliner at the end which can be very useful throughout the day.
How do I avoid transfer? The good news is that long wear lipsticks tend not to transfer, so you can greet your guests and sip away on your bubbles without worrying too much. However, as an extra precaution blot with a tissue after applying to remove any excess.
I love red and dark colours – but how can I make them last? Unlike a nude shade that will gradually fade down to your natural lip colour. A darker colour requires more supervision. Ask your bridesmaid to keep an eye as to when your lipstick needs a top up. The secret to long lasting lipstick is to apply it in layers. Lip primer, lip liner, then two layers of your lipstick, followed by a top coat if it’s a duo.
Best Long-West Lipsticks for Brides
1. The Emolyne line is a great brand for brides as it has an exquisite colour edit of 30 lipsticks, liners and nail polishes in the same matching colours, that suit all ethnicities. For long lasting wear try the Velvet Lip semi-matte lipstick (€26.15 /£23) as it gives an intense colour pay off and full coverage, but it has a creamy formula. (We’re also slightly obsessed with this gorgeous red shade named Port Elizabeth). It’s only available online at emolyne.com, but there’s an excellent shade finder quiz on the site to help you find your perfect colour.
2. A cult hit for a reason, Charlotte Tilbury’s Matte Revolution collection (€32/£26) is one of our favourite long wear lipsticks. It has the perfect blend of waxes and oils, so you get a long-lasting finish without drying, not to mention the glowing pigments that catch the light beautifully. Try the Look of Love edit in the collection – four gorgeous rosey shades with Wedding Belles being a particular star!
3. This one is techinically not a lipstick but a liner and primer in one. Shiseido’s LipLiner InkDuo (€26/£24) can be paired with your favourite long wear lipstick to give serious staying power, but can also be worn alone as it gives a matte finish with bold colour pay off.
4. The MAC Powder Kiss Liquid Lip Colour (€24 /£16) offers a formula that drenches lips in rich liquid colour while offering all the comfort of a balm. It gives a softly blown out matte finish that’s very vintage without being drying, and we love the applicator for easy top ups.
5. The Code 8 Colour Brilliance Lipstick collection, (£28) has nine gorgeous nude pink shades and is super for brides with dry lips. It gives vibrant colour pay off and is long lasting, and while it won’t last quite as long as a matte texture, this one is creamy and comfortable to wear.
6. The Lipfinity Lip Colour duo by Max Factor (€14.99/£11.99) has been a best seller for a long time and we can see why. Create a smooth, rich layer with the long lasting matte liquid lipstick and pop on the glossy moisturising top coat as, and when, you need it. There are 34 shades to choose from!
7. One for our vegan brides, the Everlasting Hyperlight Liquid Lipstick by KVD Beauty, (€27/£19) is a stay-all-day, transfer-proof liquid lipstick that feels like you’re wearing nothing at all. It’s packed with pigment in nudes, berries, reds and ‘pops’ for anyone who wants a statement shade, and it feels really flexible on the lips.
8. There are only three shades in this ink and balm duo by Clarins, but the Lip Twist Duo Water Tint & Balm (€21) is ideal for anyone who wants a long-wearing base with a glossy or balmy finish on top.
*This post contains affiliate links
Looking for your perfect nude lipstick shade? We have a whole post here, as well as the best self tan, great blow dry styles and waterproof mascaras.